THE PAROCHIAL CHURCH OF SANTA MARIA AND SAN NICHOLAS
       
Until century XVI, Calella was integrated within the parish of Pineda de Mar.

In 1528 it became independent and shortly after began the construction of the new temple, which was devoted in 1564. This first church was destroyed in 1747 and it was reconstructed in 1756 and extended again in 1785 according to the project of Josep Morató, of Vic.
The building, of a ship, with a dome on the lateral cruise and chapels between the abutments, follows the model baroque derived by Sant Felip Neri, of Barcelona.

At the same time there is the square basic bell tower with the octagonal final stage, model widely repeated in all the country.
Flanking the new cover, were placed the heads of the twelve apostles, who had been carved by Jean de Tours in century XVI comprising of the greater altar.

The church was very damaged in 1936 and recovered among 1940-51.
       
Return      
 
© Pensión Casa Austria · Not to Reproduce · Legal Warning · Design: AwebC.es