THE LITTLES TOWERS (LES TORRETES)
       
In the middle of century XIX there were constructed two towers destined to the transmission of optical signals in the top of the Capaspre, that they comprised of a system of communications based on a chain of towers, some of them of medieval origin.

The system of optical telegraphy worked with flags and coloured balls, in agreement with a complex codification. The towers of Calella constituted a radio-relay station between “La Torre de los Encantados de Caldetes” and those of Malgrat and Blanes, to the other side.

They were built in 1848, the first, and the second and the highest one, in 1857.

The oldest, surrounded by a pit and with a big number of loopholes, it was served by soldiers, and it had functions of military character essentially, whereas the second it had commercial aims. At the moment they are in ruins.
       
Return      
 
© Pensión Casa Austria · Not to Reproduce · Legal Warning · Design: AwebC.es